Sexing or Gender Scan
Sexing (gender) scans are performed at any stage after 16 weeks of pregnancy. The scan is for couples who would like to know the sex of their baby for social and family reasons. We do not do it to assist in sex selection. It is very accurate: 99.9%. If we have any doubt we will invite you for a repeat scan at no extra cost. It is more difficult in obese women.
What is currently offered by the NHS?
Many NHS hospital will offer to tell the sex of the baby at the anomaly scan. Some may not. We offer it earlier than the anomaly scan.
When can I have the scan?
A sexing or gender scan ideally is performed any time after 16 weeks of pregnancy. The position of the baby and placenta are determined as well as the size of the head in two diameters, the size of the tummy and the length of the upper leg are measured. These are plotted on an expected size chart. The volume of amniotic fluid is assessed.
How is the scan done?
- Sexing scans are usually done ‘transabdominally’ which means over the tummy.
What structures of the baby can be checked?
The purpose of the sexing scan is not to check structures although any obvious problem will be seen. For a diagnostic scan please see our anomaly scans.
What are the indications or reasons for having this scan?
- As a second opinion
- Because I could not get it on the NHS
- Calm and relaxing environment
- I want to know earlier than the NHS will tell me.
Is there someone I can talk to about the outcome of my scan?
Yes, a consultant will be available to talk to if you have additional questions, concerns or if an abnormality was detected.
Consultant or Sonographer?
- If you are having a normal pregnancy, then in most cases a scan by one of our experienced sonographers is advisable. All our sonographers are fully qualified and accredited, so you are in safe hands.
- If however, you are experiencing complications with your pregnancy or need a second opinion, a scan with our consultant is recommended.
Is it easy to make an appointment?
We offer morning, afternoon and occasionally evening appointments during the week as well as Saturday appointments. We have a wide range of availability therefore short notice appointments can be easily arranged.
What you will receive:
- Immediate results including gestational age and estimated due date.
- A report to file with your maternity notes.
- A video recording sent to an email of your choice via iBabyScan
How to Prepare for your scan
- A moderately full bladder will improve the viability of the scan done over the tummy.
What is an iBabyScan?
The Birth Company is the first clinic in London to offer iBabyScan, allowing you to share your pregnancy ultrasound with friends and family wherever they are in the world. This optional recording can be shared with 1-click via Email, Facebook and Twitter. Simply tell your sonographer that you would like an iBabyScan – it only takes an additional one or two minutes.
What is the next scan following a sexing or gender scan?
It is important that you always have the anomaly scan at 20-22 weeks.